- Let your friend know that you believe what she says.
- Let her know it is not her fault. Abused women are often told that the abuse is their fault, that they did something to provoke the violence.
- Encourage, but do not pressure, your friend to talk about the violence. Abused women's shelters are a good place for women to start talking about what has been happening to them.
- Be sure she knows she can call an abused women's shelter such as Grace Sparkes House in Marystown, to talk about the situation, that she will not be placed under any kind of pressure, and does not give her name.
- Offer to accompany your friend to any place she is frightened to approach for help such as the police, the hospital or an abused women's shelter such as Grace Sparkes House in Marystown.